Friday, January 24, 2014

Santiago, a model city in Latin America

It has been just over a month since I came down to Santiago for work. A city flourishing with extinct ideaology - producing an air you don't really get to breathe in other parts of our querida Latin America.

Santiagoans are warm, optimistic people, with pride for their advanced and stable society, product of a series of privatization reforms by the Chicago Boys and a desire to progress by its people. They're extremely welcoming of foreigners: I will never forget the day a public bus driver, having finished his shift and about to return the bus to the Centro, decided to drive 20 minutes in an empty bus through streets that didnt match his route to get me to a date I was late to, all because I was the new Venezolano in the city. Chile has proven to be an awakening experience of sorts, and every day, every step taken in its roads is a refreshing welcome back to the southern hemisphere.

I got here on December 11th, 2013, and a few days later attended the rally of Michelle Bachelet who had just been elected president. A historic event in a city full of history... I've created strong bonds with meaningful people, and set a footprint on the ground, one I plan to come back to once I move on, if I do.

There's much to write about, the things I've learned, the people I've met and the ideas I've brewed, but for now it will sufice to say that this is a new beginning.

[Post To Be Updated with Pictures]

No comments:

Post a Comment